ANOTHER POSITIVE STEP IN THE MCM - BIUST RELATIONSHIP
Morupule Coal Mine's collaboration with Botswana International University of Science & Technology grows in leaps and bounds. MCM donated to BIUST a W430 Komatsu Front End Loader and other associated equipment. The donation worth P352, 000.00 is intended for the support and facilitation of the university's practical research.
This was preceded by a visit by BIUST Senior Leadership to the Mine where they visited the underground operation and Motheo project. BIUST and Morupule Coal Mine (MCM) entered into a formal relationship in 2018 through a Memorandum of Agreement (MOU) which has set up a mode of engagement that allows the two parties to work together in various fields of skills development; research and innovation,
Some of the notable achievements which were realised through this partnership are as follows;
- Students attachments, about 33 students in Mining Engineering and Geological Engineering have been attached to MCM since 2018 to date.
- A tripartite Agreement between BIUST-MCM and Tsodilo Resources, BIUST to undertake metallurgical studies with respect to the potential of generating a pellet Feed and Direct Reduced Iron (DRI) product from the Tsodilo Xaudum Iron Formation (XIF) utilizing its Magnetite and MCM’s coal as reductant and also provide financial assistance.
- BIUST also upskilled MCM surveyors.
- MCM through their Corporate Social Investments funded the production of sanitizers during COVID -19 pandemic.
- MCM annually sponsors the Best Student in the Department of Mining & Geological Engineering.